nanog mailing list archives

Re: Scotland ccTLD?

From: Rubens Kuhl <rubensk () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 14:53:28 -0300

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 1:26 PM, David Conrad <drc () virtualized org> wrote:

On Sep 16, 2014, at 8:45 AM, Rubens Kuhl <rubensk () gmail com> wrote:
Available s* include sf, sp, sq, su and sw.

SF (Finland, from “Suomi Finland”) is “transitionally reserved” meaning it
is allocated but will be removed from the allocated list “soon” (for some
value of the variable “soon”). I believe the hold down timer for
transitionally reserved is something like 50 years now. As such, it’s not
available.

SU is the Soviet Union, now classified as “exceptionally reserved” which
IANA treats as available for assignment (other exceptionally reserved codes
are EU, UK, and AC).  Don’t get me started on why SU is exceptionally
reserved instead of transitionally reserved.

Why SU is not transitionally reserved:
http://vimeo.com/87939821

Rubens