nanog mailing list archives

Re: internet governance, rir policy, and the decline of civilization

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 21:45:11 -0400

On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM, Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:
I'm not sure for example, if 11GER is needed for number registry personnel
costs, that could give you 100 hostmasters with 5500EUR/month salary, in good
likelihood, we'd be able to run focused number registry with volunteers.

I think your math is off? 11,000,000 / 100 == 110,000 / 12 == 9,166 month

right? Did you mean '200 hostmasters at 5500/month' ?

you'd likely also have to put into the mix the cost of infrastructure,
right? I'm not sure what current arin/ripe/apnic folk have deployed, I
imagine some servers (100k of gear? replaced every 3yrs?) and
routing/switching devices (2M replaced every 3 yrs), and link costs.

we could nit-pick saku's arithmetic to death, but what would we learn?
it costs money and clue to run a good registry, news at eleven.

sure, my point wasn't really that 'math is wrong', so much as 'running
a registry likely costs some cake in gear/bw/admin-time'

and that i'm not sure that 11m is off as a number close to the scale
of the cost/problem.

i would love to see some folk with enable on the board, such as you.

can't other officer from same company already serving, phew! :) (see
bullfighter turn stance)

but without the paradigm shift, it would just be pain and torture to no
real avail.  and good folk with enable are too busy enabling the
internet as opposed to making careers as wannabe micro-policy wonks.

I also agree that 'lots of policy' hasn't really gotten us anywhere :(