nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco/Level3 takedown

From: Steve Noble <snoble () sonn com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 09:31:33 -0700

I was wondering why a non-allocated AS was being allowed to announce the
blocks but it appears that APNIC has revoked the 63854 ASN?

http://wq.apnic.net/apnic-bin/whois.pl?searchtext=AS63854&object_type=aut-num

Based on google's cache, it was still there late March.

BGP routing table entry for 103.41.125.0/24, version 108425142
Paths: (1 available, best #1, table default)
Not advertised to any peer
6939 4134 36678 26484 63854

Blake Hudson wrote:

Reading the article, I assumed that perhaps Level 3 was an upstream
carrier, but RIPE stats shows that the covering prefix
(103.41.120.0/22) is announced by AS63509, an Indonesian organization.
It looks like they're fighting back by announcing their own /24 now.

I love the AS's address:
descr:Jl. Marcedes Bens No.258
descr:Gunung Putri, Bogor
descr:Jawa Barat 16964
country:ID

While a Level 3 /24 announcement will certainly have a world wide
impact, I agree that it seems misguided when the originating AS can
announce their own /24. It does make one wonder why Cisco or Level 3
is involved, why they feel they have the authority to hijack someone
else's IP space, and why they didn't go through law enforcement. This
is especially true for the second netblock (43.255.190.0/23),
announced by a US company (AS26484).

--Blake