nanog mailing list archives

Re: Quakecon: Network Operations Center tour

From: Josh Hoppes <josh.hoppes () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 17:29:46 -0500

On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 4:59 PM, Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:
josh,

thanks for the more technical scoop.  now i get it a bit better.

We also re-designed the LAN back in 2011 to break up the giant single
broadcast domain down to a subnet per table switch.

so it is heavily routed using L3 on the core 'switches'?  makes a lot of
sense.

Single core switch, the Cisco 6509 VE in the video, handles routing
between subnets. Table switches have an IP for management and
monitoring. We have some 3750Gs for additional routing in other parts
of the event.