nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

From: Steve Clark <sclark () netwolves com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 10:46:03 -0500

On 02/27/2015 04:11 PM, Scott Helms wrote:
Daniel,

"50MB/s might be tough to fill, but even at home I can get good use out of
the odd 25MB/s upstream burst for a few minutes."

Which would you choose, 50/50 or 75/25?  My point is not that upstream
speed isn't valuable, but merely that demand for it isn't symmetrical and
unless the market changes won't be in the near term.  Downstream demand is
growing, in most markets I can see, much faster than upstream demand.
Scott,

Who can foresee what APPs might come about if uplinks speeds weren't so low. I liken it to
whoever said no one will ever need more than 640KB of memory.

Regards,
Steve

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology