nanog mailing list archives

Re: HTTPS redirects to HTTP for monitoring

From: Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 10:29:05 -0800

On Sunday, January 18, 2015, John Levine <johnl () iecc com> wrote:

So your idea is to block every HTTPS website?
From my point of view, it is better than violate user privacy & safety.

Sneaky is evil.

I expect your users would fire you when they found you'd blocked access to
Google.

And they would sue you for gross negligence for decrypting their ssn when
access company  payroll and cpni data

These boxes that violate end to end encryption are a great place for
hackers to steal the bank and identity info of everyone in your
company.

Since the end user machines are generally running Windows, why would bad
guys
waste time on a much harder and more obscure target?

Who said the mitm box was not running windows ?

That said, a properly admin'd win7 box is about as secure as any other end
station in my opinion. Yea, win2k and xp were a pain, msft has come a long
long way.

The same cannot be said for Adobe or Java.

CB