nanog mailing list archives

Re: REMINDER: LEAP SECOND

From: Tore Anderson <tore () fud no>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 21:57:28 +0200

* Matthew Huff

That won't work. Being internally sync'ed isn't good enough for
FINRA. All the machines must be synced to an external accurate source
at least once per trading day.

That was why I proposed to ntpdate on your (upstream-free since the
29th) NTP server(s) sometime on the 30th. That would synchronise its
local clock with an external accurate source, without learning the Leap
Indicator.

Our plan is to disable our two stratum 1 servers, and our 3 stratum 2
servers before the leap second turnover, but to be 100% safe we would
need to do that 24 hours before, but that would be a violation of
FINRA regulations.

If you run your own straum-1 servers, can't you just opt not to
configure "leapfile"? Assuming your own organisation is the only user
of those servers, that is (certainly don't do that if it's a public
server). After the leap second has passed, you can proceed to correct
things. Your clients will then be 1s ahead of correct time, and will
need to step/slew their clocks to get in sync. But maybe that's OK as
far as FINRA's concerned...

It looks like the safest thing for us to do is to keep our NTP
servers running and deal with any crashes/issues. That's better than
having to deal with FINRA.

Maybe. I have no experience with FINRA. :-)

Tore