nanog mailing list archives

Re: World's Fastest Internet™ in Canadaland

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 20:52:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015, Rafael Possamai wrote:

How does one fully utilize a gigabit link for home use? For a single person
it is overkill. Similar to the concept of price elasticity in economics,
going from 50mbps to 1gbps doesn't necessarily increase your average
transfer rate, at least I don't think it would for me. Anyone care to

I have 250/50 megabit/s. I frequently use the 250 megabit/s download and upload speed when doing larger file transfers, and I actually get the speed advertised.

I can get 500/50 but I'd have to pay tens of USD per month more for that, and it's just not worth it.

So while my transfer rate when I actually do something increases, it doesn't make me use more data per month, it just means that when I actually have to download something bigger, it takes shorter time.

And yes, "fastest Internet in the world" is pure BS, gigabit ethernet access to peoples homes have been around for years in other places.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se