nanog mailing list archives

Re: Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 14:03:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

We use DHCPv6 to assign just one IP address to the CPE. This is because
otherwise our routers do not know where to route the /48 that is also
passed along with DHCPv6-PD.

If you use DHCPv6-PD you only need a LL address, you do not need a GUA address. Yes, a GUA WAN address is nice for fault finding, shows up in traceroute etc, but it's not needed. If your routers require a GUA WAN address in order for DHCPv6-PD to work, then they're not standards compliant.

Apart from operational simplicity, we also do not want our routers to keep track of a million ND cache entries. Our system pushes that down to the CPE. In the network we only have one ND cache entry per customer.

Well, if you have a GUA /128, then you have two per customer (because you'll have the LL one as well). If you didn't use the GUA address, you'd only have one.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se