nanog mailing list archives

Re: Greenfield 464XLAT (In January)

From: Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 14:47:23 -0700

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Nicholas Warren <nwarren () barryelectric com>
wrote:

Sincere apologies if this e-mail is inappropriate for this audience,
We are (going to be) a startup ISP building a new network from the ground
up. I was hoping I could get an opinion, or two, on how everyone feels
about 464XLAT. I saw what everyone was saying about it in the 'Android
doesn't support DHCPv6' discussion, but what about in the wireline side of
things? The main reason we are even considering 464XLAT as opposed to
dual-stack (the latter is, in my ignorant opinion, the better option.) is
the fear of IPv4 depletion that we think might hit ARIN between now and the
start of next year; causing us to pay a premium for IPv4 in the gray
market. So I guess the real question here would be: is our fear real, or is
it just bug on the wall? If our fear is real, what should we implement so
that our users can still get to the v4 internet, are we even thinking
soberly by suggesting 464XLAT?
Thanks,
- Nich

Yes, your fears about IPv4 are correct.

If you have a look at ARIN PPML lately, you can see some pretty intense
"discussion" about companies exporting ARIN addresses to CCNIC and so on.

As a greenfield, you should definitely be focused on IPv6-only to the edge
solutions.  DS-lite, MAP-E, and 464XLAT come to mind.

DS-lite is the oldest and most common in wireline.  464XLAT is more common
in mobile. MAP-E and MAP-T have not yet been deployed at the same scale as
DS-lite and 464XLAT yet AFAIK, not sure if they will be.

You could also simply do dual-stack with private space and CGN to the end
user using RFC1918 (10.0.0.0/8,  100.64.0.0/10)

Regards,
CB