nanog mailing list archives

Re: AWS Elastic IP architecture

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 21:41:30 -0400

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 9:32 PM, Mark Andrews <marka () isc org> wrote:

In message <CAL9jLaaQUP1UzoKag3Kuq8a5bMcB2q6Yg=B_=1fFWxRN6K-bNA () mail gmail com
, Christopher Morrow writes:
On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com> wrote:

On Monday, June 1, 2015, Mark Andrews <marka () isc org> wrote:

In message
<CAL9jLaYXCdfViHbUPx-=rs4vSx5mFECpfuE8b7VQ+Au2hCXpMQ () mail gmail com>
, Christopher Morrow writes:
So... I don't really see any of the above arguments for v6 in a vm
setup to really hold water in the short term at least.  I think for
sure you'll want v6 for public services 'soon' (arguably like 10 yrs
ago so you'd get practice and operational experience and ...) but for
the rest sure it's 'nice', and 'cute', but really not required for
operations (unless you have v6 only customers)

Everyone has effectively IPv6-only customers today.  IPv6 native +
CGN only works for services.  Similarly DS-Lite and 464XLAT.

ok, and for the example of 'put my service in the cloud' ... the
service is still accessible over ipv4 right?

It depends on what you are trying to do.  Having something in the
cloud manage something at home.  You can't reach the home over IPv4
more and more these days as.  IPv6 is the escape path for that but
you need both ends to be able to speak IPv6.  This will happen to
business as well.  The ability to be able to be able to call out
to everyone is lost if the cloud provider doesn't fully support
IPv6.

so, I totally agree that long term v6 must also appear in the
cloud-spaces... I was (long back in this thread) asking:
  "sure, v6 is great, what top 1-3 things could a cloud provider
prioritize NOW to get the ball rolling"  (presuming they have some
'real' reason why v6 'just can not be added to interface configs').

There are a whole segment of applications that don't work, or don't
work well, or don't work without a whole lot of additional investment
when one end is behind a CGN (covers all the above as IPv4 is
supplied over a CGN).

'additional investment' == 'client initiates connection to server'

right? :)

This attitude of we don't have to invest in IPv6 yet because we
have lots of public IPv4 addresses stinks to high heaven these day,
whether you are a ISP, cloud provider or someone else.

yup, agreed. I was (and am still) reacting to the 'everything is
horrible and broken because I can't talk the v6's to all my internal
machines' when ... that seems (to me at least) to be completely
immaterial when 'there is a v6 endpoint for your http/https/xmpp/etc'
available 'now'. (or could be in relatively short order).

-chris