nanog mailing list archives

Re: optical gear cooling requirements

From: Matthew Crocker <matthew () corp crocker com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 17:19:49 -0500

On Mar 4, 2015, at 4:54 PM, Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org> wrote:

On 04/03/2015 21:33, Jay Hennigan wrote:
We used Livingston Portmaster 3 back in the day. Front to back
ventilation, ran cool as a cucumber, plug it in and it just worked.
Awesome gear until Lucent bought the company to kill the product in
favor of their Ascend TNT space heaters.

Ascend kit was a horror to deal with.  I ran isdn dialin on some of their
lower end kit at one stage.  It only worked because I put it on a power
timer which power-cycled it twice a day.

+1 on portmasters, though.

My ISP grew up on Livingston Postmaster 2e & 3s.  I even had a Postmaster 4 for a bit.   Lucent swapped that out for an
APX 8000.    I still have an Ascend TNT running the remainder of my modem pool.     8 Active users on it at the moment.

Recently won a state contract for IP services.  The very first order was for a chunk of dialup accounts so the
Department of Conservation and Recreation could call in from their firepowers.

It just keeps chugging away in a forgotten corner of my datacenter.

Nick