nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: BdNOG announces website blocks

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 11:27:17 +1100

In message <20151118161330.47687A7 () m0087793 ppops net>, "Scott Weeks" writes:

Md. abdullah Al naser mail.naserbd at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 18 12:56:15 BDT 2015

The service of Facebook, Viber and Whatsapp are
blocked from now till further notice. It has been
ordered by Begum Tarana Halim, State Minister, Post
and Telecommunications.

I just saw this on BdNOG and thought it might be
interesting to others here and where some of the
internet is headed...

Wow, all of these govt's just can't seem to deal
with not being able to completely control *everything*
about the populace.

So, in Bangladesh, no communicating with your social
peers, no free calls, text or picture sharing and no
mobile messaging.  The new State Minister for Post
and Telecommunications in Bangladesh wants her money.

It'd be interesting to hear how they're attempting
to make it happen.

From: Grant Ridder <shortdudey123 () gmail com>

Any idea if this includes Instagram as well since it is
a Facebook asset?

No idea.  I am seeing this want of govt's everywhere.
Australia, China, US, BD, etc, etc.  It makes me want
to get hosed off with disinfectant.

And the Australian PM boasted about using apps which encrypted
traffic to avoid surveillance before he became PM.  Perhaps he
should be locked up as a terrorist.

Mark

scott
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org