nanog mailing list archives

Re: DDoS mitigation for ISPs

From: Hugo Slabbert <hugo () slabnet com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 08:54:06 -0700

On Thu 2015-Oct-29 08:42:31 -0700, Mike <mike-nanog () tiedyenetworks com> wrote:

Hello,

Is there any DDoS mitigation service provider that can scrub traffic for an ISP network? I have an ASN and BGP and my own netblocks, and I have a 1gbps pipe. I was thinking the scenario would be during attack, we could bring up a tunnel and run bgp over it and advertise some portion of our ip space thru it. I realise getting it setup while attack is taking place would be a little hard and that we likely could expect at least some down time. What we have seen so far has been reflection attacks (dns and ssdp) and we have been able to do rate limiting on these and other protocols to sane values. This has worked well, although the primary risk is once the traffic flow exceeds the link capacity such limiting won't have any net effect. But if we could farm this out during times of trouble to a mitigation services provider, they could advertise our block(s) and rate limit and scrub for us and send us the result, it would be a far better than what we have now (which is effectively nothing). I asked cloudflare this and they stated they are focused on web traffic. My upstream can't help me, doesn't support RTBH and won't install filters anyways unless it's impacting THEIR network. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas (short of ditching my provider, which I also can't do due at this time due to lack of competitive choice).

Mike-

In no particular order:

- Prolexic (Akamai)
- Arbor Networks
- Staminus
- Black Lotus
- Incapsula
- Radware

This is not an endorsement for any of the above.
Alternatively: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ddos+protection

--
Hugo

hugo () slabnet com: email, xmpp/jabber
PGP fingerprint (B178313E):
CF18 15FA 9FE4 0CD1 2319 1D77 9AB1 0FFD B178 313E

(also on textsecure & redphone)