nanog mailing list archives

Re: IGP choice

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:54:43 +0200

On 23/Oct/15 10:48, Saku Ytti wrote:

I believe this is because you need 802.3 (as opposed to EthernetII)
and rudimentary CLNS implementation, both which are very annoying from
programmer point of view.

I'm not really sure what the hold-up is, but I know Mikael, together
with the good folks at netDEF (Martin and Alistair) are working hard on
fixing these issues. While I have not had much time to provide them with
feedback on their progress, it is high on my agenda - not to mention
funding support for them will only help the cause.

I hope ISIS would migrate to EthernetII and IP. From security point of
view, people often state how it's better that it's not IP, but in
reality, how many have verified the flip side of this proposal, how
easy it is to protect yourself from ISIS attack from connected host?
For some platforms the answer is, there is absolutely no way, and any
connected host can bring you down with trivial amount of data.

Well, on the basis that an attack is made easier if you are running
IS-IS on a vulnerable interface, in theory, an attack would be highly
difficult if a vulnerable interface were not running IS-IS to begin with.

But I do not have any empirical data on any attempts to attack IS-IS,
successfully or otherwise. So your guess is as good as mine.

Mark.