nanog mailing list archives

Re: buffer bloat and packet pacing

From: Brett Frankenberger <rbf+nanog () panix com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 13:13:14 -0500

On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 05:48:00PM +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:
Hey Brett,

Here's a paper that shows you don't need buffers equal to
bandwidth*delay to get near capacity:
http://www.cs.bu.edu/~matta/Papers/hstcp-globecom04.pdf
(I'm not endorsing it.  Just pointing out it out as a datapoint.)

Quick glance makes me believe the S and D nodes are equal bandwidth,
but only R1-R2 bandwidth is explicitly stated.S1, D1, Sn, Dn are only
ever mentioned in the topology. If Sender is same or lower rate than
Destination, then we really shouldn't need almost any buffering.

Unless Sender is higher than R1-R2.

Issue should only come when Sender is significantly higher rate than
Destination and network is not limiting them.

I didn't read it in detail either, but at first glance, it appears to
me that the model is infinite bandwidth and zero latency between S and
R1, and D and R2, with queueing happening in R1.

That's not going to give materially different results than, having S-R1
be 4 times R1-R2, and R2-D being the same as R1-R2.  So it fits well
with the original discussion here of 40G into 10G.

     -- Brett