nanog mailing list archives

Re: PCH.net questions and thoughts - Re: Prefix hijacking by AS20115

From: "John Todd" <jtodd () pch net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 15:09:30 -0700

Since it’s come up on the list and we haven’t given a public update recently, I thought I’d just write a quick note on the state of INOC-DBA. For those who aren’t familiar with it, INOC-DBA is a SIP-based hotline communications system between NOCs and CERTs:

    https://www.pch.net/services/INOC_DBA

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INOC-DBA

PCH has been the secretariat for INOC-DBA for the past thirteen years as a function of our not-for-profit purpose, serving network operators. During that time, the INOC-DBA back-end and self-provisioning systems have been completely replaced three times, and we’re currently at work on moving from the SER-driven 3.0 series of releases to a more modern BE7k-driven 4.0 system. Because INOC-DBA has only been intermittently directly grant-funded, sometimes, like now, it is funded entirely out of our overhead budget, so progress can be slow. The consequence is that, in order to make headway on the 4.0 transition, we’ve had to move people off of active support of the old 3.0 self-provisioning system. So, it’s fine for people who are already using it, but there’s not currently a way to create a new user within the 3.0 system, nor for existing users to make significant changes to call routing.

ASNs have proven to be a good identifier, allowing network operators to communicate with each other in a way that’s vetted, while avoiding putting PCH in the position of judging who qualifies to join and who doesn't. Whether you know the name of a network, or where it’s located, or even what timezone they’re in, you know them by their ASN. And a hotline system that bypasses directories and receptionists and escalation chains is a quick and low-friction way of reaching someone who has the authority and access to resolve a problem.

While email is the most venerable and well-known communication method it is often filtered, missed, or funneled through helpdesks that don’t have sufficient clue, or are stymied by dealing with someone who isn’t one of their own customers. Facebook and general-purpose chat systems are less than ideal as well, as they’re un-vetted and quickly suffer the same fate as email: if they’re paid attention to at all, filters or automated systems are put in place to block the noise. So, a closed network for voice, video, presence and chat has proven to be an immediate, low-noise way for those network operators who choose to use it, to communicate with each other. In the 4.0 system, XMPP chat using the same identifiers in the same closed network is a natural extension and the new feature that, though hardly revolutionary, we’re most looking forward to releasing.

The technical issues that were discussed in this thread about NAT/PAT problems are certainly valid, but can be circumvented in a number of different ways, some of which are addressed in our documentation. SIP and RTP can work through NAT if correctly configured in simple circumstances, or in the presence of a NAT-traversal server, such as is included in INOC-DBA. An organization may have multiple INOC-DBA users and opt to have a SIP-capable system at the border of their network with one side facing the public Internet, and one side facing their private network, and which manages call flow and media handling (Asterisk, Freeswitch, or any one of a number of free or commercial SIP PBX-like systems will do this fairly easily; again, there are tutorials in our documentation). This also allows after-hours routing to PSTN lines or to call groups as needed, controlled by a local administrator. We also have considered keeping the media path through our servers, which aids the NAT traversal issue while not precluding local SIP enclaves as described above.

One of the things that we struggle with is maintaining an appropriate balance between, on the one hand, keeping the network operations community informed of the status of the system, so they don’t feel compelled to ask on NANOG, versus not pro-actively over-sharing on lists and making a nuisance of ourselves. Admittedly, if the 4.0 transition were going faster, this would be less of an issue.

So, we’re glad of the continued interest (particularly in the NANOG community, where INOC-DBA is not as widely used as in, for instance, the LACNIC community), and we apologize for the slow transition to the new 4.0 back-end and self-provisioning system. As always, you can contact us directly about INOC-DBA related stuff on operator () pch net

JT

---
John Todd - jtodd () pch net - +1-415-831-3123