nanog mailing list archives

Re: how to deal with port scan and brute force attack from AS 8075 ?

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 14:31:15 -0400

On Apr 11, 2016, at 2:18 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:

I could be wrong, IANAL, but I’d be surprised if a mere portscan would actually be treated as a violation for the
reasons cited above.

Not that I've ever heard of someone being fined but you're definitely
in to "something wrong" territory.

I don’t think you’ve made your case for “definite” so far. I agree you might be at risk from an overzealous
prosecutor and an activist judge that hates hackers for some reason, but short of that, I think you’re unlikely to
run afoul of this statute just on a port scan.

my experience in talking to the DoJ in the US is this is not going to illicit any sort of a response.

I will say that the number of people who “set up a tool” to watch for activity then claim things like a DNS packet or
backscatter from DDoS represent a log-on attempt generates the most amusing email to read.

- Jared