nanog mailing list archives

Re: GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 15:10:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016, Laszlo Hanyecz wrote:
I imagine some consumers of the data will 'correct' the position to fall on the nearest road in front of the nearest house.

If GeoIP insists on giving a specific lon/lat, instead of an uncertaintity how about using locations such as the followign as the "default I don't know where it is"

United States: 38.8899 N, 77.0091 W (U.S. Capital Building)
Missouri: 38.5792 N, 92.1729 W (Missouri State Capital Building)

After the legislators get tired of the police raiding the capital buildings, they will probably do something to fix it.