nanog mailing list archives

Re: Colocation Server Lifts

From: Alex Lesser <alex () pssclabs com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 13:04:37 +0000

Very good questions with not so clear cut answers.  In line.

On Mar 29, 2016, at 8:23 AM, Jason Lee <jason.m.lee () gmail com> wrote:

Hi NANOG community,

A few questions I have for the community regarding server lifts at colo
facilities.

1. Is a server lift something you would typically expect a colo facility to
provide?

I would say unfortunately no.  Many facilities do have server lifts but many do not.  Definitely ask before hand so you
understand what you are getting into.  Personally I believe every facility should offer these server lifts considering
the weight people are racking today.

if yes,

2. Do colo facilities typically allow customers to just use them or provide
an operator?

The ones that do have server left usually let you just operate them. Pretty self explanatory devices. Up / down. Brake
/ move.

3. Is it a free offering or something they rent out?

I have never been asked to sign out a server lift which seems funny considering you have to sign out a crash cart.  My
guess is it facility dependent.

4. What would be the typical device weight you would lift?

The answer really depends on how much you want to lift manually.  The guys I use are pretty comfortable racking 80 lb
servers over and over and over again.  But if you don’t feel comfortable then a server lift at any weight is a good
idea.  Save you back!

5. What would be the max device weight you would lift?

Not sure on that one. You should probably consult the manufacturer. I can tell you we typically use server lifts when
things get over 100 lbs.  I think the heaviest box we have installed using a server lift was over 200 lbs.  My guess is
that it would support a lot more weight.

Thanks,

Jason