nanog mailing list archives

Re: Latency, TCP ACKs and upload needs

From: Chris Welti <chris.welti () switch ch>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:26:18 +0200

On 20/04/16 16:27, Leo Bicknell wrote:
90%+ of the stacks deployed will be too small.  Modern Unix generally
has "autotuning" TCP stacks, but I don't think Windows or OS X has
those features yet (but I'd be very happy to be wrong on that point).
Regardless of satellite uplink/downlink speeds, boxes generally need
to be tuned to get maximum performance on satellite.

Windows also has TCP buffers auto-tuning since Windows 7/Vista up to 16MB, however only receiver-side tuning on their
client versions,
for sender-side tuning you will need a server version.
That means uploading stuff from a regular windows "client" machine to a remote host with a large RTT will be very slow.

--
Chris