nanog mailing list archives

Fwd: GPON vs. GEPON

From: Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 04:59:14 +0100

On 8 January 2016 at 13:56, Josh Reynolds <josh () kyneticwifi com> wrote:

A 8-16 way split per gpon is more reasonable. I think the current cards are
4-10 gpon ports per, and 2 cards per E7-2. I know they have 2x10Gbps LAG
working for uplink, can't remember if 4x10Gbps LAG works yet or not.

That is rubbish. We are using 128 optical splits and 64 users per OLT and a
mix of users buying either 100 or 1000 Mbit/s service. This just works. The
system is very far from being overloaded. We would put even more users on
the OLT if our vendor would allow this (they only support a max of 64 users
per OLT).

Remember the very first thing users do when you sell 1000 Mbit/s internet
is to run a speedtest. Our users do that too and they do get the expected
940-950 Mbit/s (=gigabit ethernet wire speed) speedtest result at all time
of day, also at peak usage.

Regards,

Baldur