nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is it normal for your provider to withhold BGP peering info until the night of the cut?

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 23:20:18 +0100

* William Herrin:

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 4:26 PM, c b <bz_siege_01 () hotmail com> wrote:
We have 4 full-peering providers between two data centers. Our
accounting people did some shopping and found that there was
a competitor who came in substantially lower this year and
leadership decided to swap our most expensive circuit to the new carrier.

That's the first mistake. Internet w/ BGP is not a mass-market
service. Accounting people have no business searching out highly
technical custom products and services.

I guess that's why so many customers keep paying for circuits that
have long been shut down. :)