nanog mailing list archives

Re: The IPv6 Travesty that is Cogent's refusal to peer Hurricane Electric - and how to solve it

From: Tore Anderson <tore () fud no>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 11:43:09 +0100

William,

Don't get me wrong. You can cure this fraud without going to extremes.
An open peering policy doesn't require you to buy hardware for the
other guy's convenience. Let him reimburse you or procure the hardware
you spec out if he wants to peer. Nor do you have to extend your
network to a location convenient for the other guy. Pick neutral
locations where you're willing to peer and let the other guy build to
them or pay you to build from there to him. Nor does an open peering
policy require you to give the other guy a free ride on your
international backbone: you can swap packets for just the regions of
your network in which he's willing to establish a connection. But not
ratios and traffic minimums -- those are not egalitarian, they're
designed only to exclude the powerless.

Taken in this context, the Cogent/HE IPv6 peering spat is very simple:
Cogent is -the- bad actor. 100%.

I'm curious: How do you know that Cogent didn't offer to peer under
terms such as the ones you mention, but that those were refused by HE?

Tore