nanog mailing list archives

Re: Barefoot "Tofino": 6.4 Tbps whitebox switch silicon?

From: Peter Phaal <peter.phaal () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 07:35:15 -0700

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 1:19 AM, Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi> wrote:
On 16 June 2016 at 06:21, Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke () gmail com> wrote:
Based on their investors, could have interesting results for much lower
cost 100GbE whitebox switches.

Why lower cost? The BOM isn't the expensive part, the code is the
expensive part. Only way I see this happening, is if we get open
source routing suite for the box, i.e. 0 cost software.

It shouldn't be long before we see open source routing suites (Bird,
Quagga, GoBGP, etc) running on Linux (ONL, OS10, OpenSwitch). There is
a P4 program that implements the Switch Abstraction Interface (SAI),
which provides a common interface, device independent, interface to
merchant silicon.

http://p4.org/p4/an-open-source-p4-switch-with-sai-support/

A quick way to do interesting things with the programmable data plane
is to use P4 to augment the basic switching / routing behavior
provided by SAI: moving resources from layer 2 tables to layer 3
tables, adding telemetry, adding additional control capabilities,
etc.:

http://blog.sflow.com/2016/06/programmable-hardware-barefoot-networks.html