nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 Legacy assignment frustration

From: Alastair Johnson <aj () sneep net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 06:44:34 -0700

On 6/22/16 6:36 AM, Spurling, Shannon wrote:
It’s a problem with the miss-use of the RIR delegation of a legacy
block.

The assumption that because a block is assigned to a particular RIR,
all users in that block have to be in that RIR’s territory, without
actually running a query against that RIR’s Whois database.

I don't think it's an RIR / RIR-related problem, just - as you said - a short-sighted security practice.

Operators that connect to the Internet and then decide "OMG, Asia is evil" are fairly frustrating. This has caused me a number of problems for decades, as AU/NZ are fairly frequent trading partners of USA and I have frequently run into this attitude.