nanog mailing list archives

Re: Death of the Internet, Film at 11

From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg () tristatelogic com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 01:28:11 -0700

In message <4FBAFC2ECF5D6244BA4A26C1C94A1E270D579C1CD9@exchange>,
Emille Blanc <emille () abccommunications com> wrote:

I can recall at least a half-dozen scenarios where the customer actually
takes up the problem with the manufacturer.  In each of those cases, and
they're effectively told to push off because the devices are more than 12mo
old and outside the warranty period (paraphrasing customer statements and
all that), or similar canned response.  Hate to namedrop on a public list,
but Linksys, D-Link, Buffalo, Netgear... "There's profit to be had."
Granted, It's been a while, at least ~18 months since I've had any such
feedback, so perhaps things are better in the wake of all the media
attention such vendors have seen from time to time.

Not really.

The fundamental economics have not changed.  It pays to design and ship
things.  It doesn't pay to support them afterwards.  This isn't going to
change.

It is common to include "goodwill" on the balance sheet, but unless I'm
mistaken, for most companies this does not represent a significant
fraction of shareholder equity.

Regards,
rfg