nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Defensive" BGP hijacking?

From: Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 16:09:16 +0000

Once we let providers cross the line from legal to illegal actions, we're no better than the crooks, and the Internet
will descend into lawless chaos. BackConnect's illicit action undoubtedly injured innocent parties, so it's not self
defense, any more than shooting wildly into a crowd to stop an attacker would be self defense.

This thoughtless action requires a response from the community, and an apology from BackConnect.

If we can't police ourselves, someone we don't like will do it for us.

 -mel beckman