nanog mailing list archives

Re: Suggestions for a more privacy conscious email provider

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 4 Dec 2017 21:24:24 -0000

In article <37613d30-ae69-9140-5d88-7596857ce99e () wadadli me> you write:
I am considering purchasing a Raspberry Pi and hosting my own, as it
seems worth the experience. However does it require that I have my own
DNS server and a static IP address in order to connect to the mail
server from anywhere in the world?

You really don't want to do that unless you have a friend at a hosting
center who will let him plug your Pi into his rack and lend you a
static IP.  Getting static IPs at home these days is pretty much
impossible unless you get very expensive business class cable service.
Even if you have a static-ish IP on residential cable, nobody accepts
mail directly from resi networks since it is about 99.99% botnet spam.

On the other hand, it is the work of a moment to set up a $5/mo VPS
running linux with a static IP at any of a long list of hosting
providers like Tektonix or Digital Ocean or Linode.  From your point
of view, it's a linux box you can ssh into and manage the same way
you'd manage linux on a small physical machine.

R's,
John