nanog mailing list archives

Re: Waste will kill ipv6 too

From: Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 14:36:06 +0100

From: Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com>

Nobody needs to worry...Historically we spent...

Out of context, but yeah that.

scott

Not to worry, I thought about what to do if we run out of space. I will reserve my last /32 and sell sub allocations from that. Should that run out, I will reserve my last /64 out of my last /32 and sell /96 sub allocations from that. Just to be safe, I will also reserve the last /96 out of my last /64, so I can sell /128 from that.

Every single network has enough address space to keep us going forever. It is not possible to "run out" of IPv6 address space like what happened to IPv4.

Can we keep using the liberal allocation policy forever? Maybe not. But then we can simply switch to a more restrictive policy. Someone (or everyone) has enough space to sub allocate using this more restrictive policy forever.

Does it make sense to switch to a more restrictive policy NOW? No why would we? Just so they can switch to the liberal policy sometime in the future? It is not so we can keep going with a restrictive policy forever, because that will always be an option, no matter what we do now.

Regards,

Baldur