nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP IP prefix hijack detection times

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 00:47:07 -0500

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 12:15 AM, Nagarjun Govindraj <
nagarjun.govindraj () imaginea com> wrote:

Well, the idea behind the mail was to know if anyone in the community are
doing real time BGP IP prefix hijacking.
Like Artemis detection tool claims to be detecting in 1.4 ~ 3.1 minutes.
So I wanted to know if anyone in the community are using such tools for
detecting hijacks, if yes how much time does the system take to detect.

My guess is: "yes, people are struggling through hjjack detection problems"
and: "1-3 minutes isn't as important as the time spent figuring out: 1) is
the alert real (this time!), 2) what will you do about it?"

Then you sink time into: "Hey remote peer of not me, could you stop
accepting the prefix X/y from your 'customer' because .. clearly they are
not me..."

Also, maybe time to push for more RPKI deployment so you can say: "Hey peer
of not me out there in the world, you note that I've a signed certificate
from $RIR attesting that I'm the proper user of prefix X/y and I've created
and published ROA data saying the proper origin-as for X/y is M... your
customer isn't M... so, yea, please stop accepting that prefix from them?
Kthxbi!"

You may ALSO want to ask: "So, about that customer (and all your other
customers) you DO have bgp prefix filters on their sessions, right? because
the year is 2017 and that is ... table-stakes for operating a part of the
global internet now... right?"

-chris

Regards,
Nagarjun