nanog mailing list archives

Re: Point 2 point IPs between ASes

From: Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 22:34:30 +0200

* KShah () primustel ca (Krunal Shah) [Tue 27 Jun 2017, 22:28 CEST]:
What subnet mask you are people using for point to point IPs between two ASes? Specially with IPv6, We have a transit provider who wants us to use /64 which does not make sense for this purpose. isn’t it recommended to use /127 as per RFC 6164 like /30 and /31 are common for IPv4.

Whatever you want.

I was thinking, if someone is using RFC7404 for point to point IP between two ASes and establish BGP over link local addresses. This way you have your own IP space on your router and transit provider does not have to allocate IP space for point to point interface between two ASes. In traceroutes you would see only loopback IP address with GUA assigned from your allocated routable address space. Remotely DDoS to this link isn’t possible this way. Thoughts?

If you can protect the loopback IP from DDoS you can equally protect linknet IPs.

        -- Niels.