nanog mailing list archives

Re: WEBINAR TUESDAY: Can We Make IPv4 Great Again?

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo () tzi org>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 23:45:39 +0100

On 6 Mar 2017, at 22:00, Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com> wrote:

Encode extra address bits in extension headers. Add a network element near the destination that converts such that
the destination IP of a packet to IP a.b.c.d with extension header containing e.f is translated to 192.168.e.f. In
the reverse direction translate source address 192.168.e.f to a.b.c.d and add option header with e.f.

6to4 essentially did this already.  The main problem with 6to4 that made us stop using it was communicating to non-6to4
(“native”) IPv6 addresses; if you don’t want that, you have running code for both router and host side and plenty of
gear that already works.

(All this is still complete nonsense in the face of accelerating native IPv6 adoption; I write this just to show that
the idea already has been implemented out there.)

Grüße, Carsten