nanog mailing list archives

Re: Facebook more specific via Level3 ?

From: Doug Porter <dsp () fb com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 21:55:14 +0000

looks like this is also affecting other prefixes:

Many of our prefixes are only announced to peers in the metro
they originate in.  Please stop obsessing about this detail; it's
not the problem.

I understand that FB is using some type of DNS
geo-loadbalancing and other mechanism to redirect users to
(possibly) nearer mirrors.

We target traffic two ways.  One is relatively traditional dns
global load balancing, using the resolver ip.  The other
method---which steers the vast majority of our traffic---vends
urls that send people to a specific PoP based on their client ip.

It appears you're having a targeting problem.  Please reach out
to our NOC to get support.

--
dsp