nanog mailing list archives

Re: Northern California fires and telecomm outages

From: Mike <mike-nanog () tiedyenetworks com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 07:11:41 -0700

On 10/17/2017 10:05 PM, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing the story in what must be quite a difficult time.

You mention that Level3 also has presence in the county, including
their own independent route.  Did they also suffer an outage during
this latest incident?  If not, then why did their connection not allow
at least some customers to remain online?

Also, as another poster pointed out, would also be interesting to know
why the microwave link was not already established prior to this
incident if the single point of failure was so well known.
(Especially if your contract with AT&T already mentions that you are
supposedly allowed to have microwave at their CO.)

Cheers,
Constantine.

We have attempted to engage exactly that for years - installing a microwave backup - but the only place it can be done, the top of the ATT central office where we are located - is resisted steadfastly by ATT despite it being a right enshrined in our contract, and there are no other realistic options that are also within our financial means to accomplish at this time.

Mike-