nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hurricane Irma: Florida, Puerto Rico and U.S. VI

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 00:57:20 -0400 (EDT)

In my last summary, I made a comment I didn't know what the network disaster recovery team meant.

AT&T recovery efforts
   3000 recovery team members
   14 Satellite Cell on Light Truck (SatCOLT)
        - 1 in Tallahassee, 2 in Naples, 4 in Florida Keys
        - 1 portable cell site St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
   3 Emergency Communications Vehicles
   50 Drones
   Command trailers, hazardous materials response equipment

Verizon recovery efforts
   2 Satellite Picocels on Trailers (SPOTs) in the Florida Keys
   Refueling and generators at cell towers througout Florida
   Hundreds of portable generators
2 Wireless Emergency Communication Centers in Naples (provide charging stations, phones and computers for the public to contact family and friends)

Sprint recovery efforts
Sprint reports over 75% of its network is repaired in the southeast and Puerto Rico.

AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon continue to extend their wireless data, text and voice plans waiving overage charges in the disaster areas. Details are different for each carrier, so check their web sites or customer service.

Federal Aviation Administration recovery efforts
Deployed emergency mobile air traffic control tower to the international airport on St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

   Drone authorizations
        138 commercial drone operator authorizations for Hurricane Harvey
        80 commercial drone operator authorizations for Hurricane Irma

Federal Communicatiosn Commission recovery efforts
Reports at least 8,258,789 cable and wireline subscribers out of service in Alabama, Florida and Georgia.

Strangely, the number of non-mobile switching centers increased from 1,040 (Sept 13) to 2,188 (Sept 14). I believe this exceeds the number of cable headends and central offices in Florida. So I don't know what this number represents or why it increased so much.

The situation is still dire in some locations, but generally the disaster operations have moved to recovery and restoration. Unless something significant happens, this is the last summary report about Hurricane Irma from me.