nanog mailing list archives

Re: Should ISP block child pornography?

From: bzs () theworld com
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 00:54:36 -0500

My impression is that like the judge in my previous note they did
neither, or both, or all of the above.

The law apparently just says if LE or a court of competent
jurisdiction demands the contents of a device it has to be provided in
a readable form and how that's accomplished is not their (the
legislature's, LE's, et al's) problem to specify. Provide it or face
consequences.

So what you list are two possible solutions, remove encryption
entirely or add a backdoor, or sniff and save everything submitted to
the encryption routine, etc.

I suppose the mischievous thought is whenever one receives such a
demand send back a cleartext copy of the Australian Constitution, or
the lyrics to the Sex Pistols' "God Save The Queen".

How can they prove that's not the correct decryption without the
encryption key? I suppose they can drag you in to testify under oath.

Next Up: Australia's Legislature Outlaws Cancer!