nanog mailing list archives

Re: Opensource SNMP Trap Receivers ???

From: "Jean | ddostest.me via NANOG" <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 08:46:47 -0500

People often brag that snmp is super easy. You soon find out that it's not always the case. Some vendors do it better than others.

Whataver the tool you will use, it's important to keep in mind to start small.

My biggest advice is to start with 1 small example. One that is needed for you now.

Like I want to know when 1 power supply fails. You unplug your secondary power supply and test. You will figure it out.

Then you add another example like fan fails. Temperature alert.

Gradually you will add more interesting stuff like bgp/ospf lost neighbor. Maybe some bfd traps.

Really start small and slowly add 1 or 2 traps at a time. Only add traps that are important.

Snmp is really powerful but you can easily get lost in all those details.

Jean