nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spectre/Meltdown impact on network devices

From: Denys Fedoryshchenko <denys () visp net lb>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2018 02:14:25 +0200

AFAIK, Meltdown/Spectre require access to some proper programming language and ability to run attacker own code. If underprivileged user can't spawn shell on device or run some python code - i guess you are safe.

I guess people need to push support of vendors, for equipment who has programming languages/shell, to release statement about possibility of vulnerability. As fixing require significant changes in "memory" operation model, i doubt they will do such thing, i guess in best case they will restrict access to insert
code under nonprivileged users (if it is allowed now).
For example, even old Cisco IOS has TCL, but logically under level 15, so i assume it is safe.