nanog mailing list archives

Re: Need /24 (arin) asap

From: valdis.kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 12:42:50 -0400

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 10:27:04 -0600, Michael Crapse said:
For an eyeball network, you cannot count on an IPv6 only network. Because
all of your "customers" will complain because they can't get to hulu, or
any other ipv4 only eyeball service. You still need the ipv4s to operate a
proper network, and good luck figuring out which services are blacklisting
your new /24 because the ipv4 space used to be a VPN provider, and the "in"
thing to do for these services is to block VPNs.

Of course, figuring out how to run dual-stack for those eyeballs is still a net
win - because every content that *does* do IPv6 is that many fewer packets
that you have to cram through that CGNAT. (My laptop currently has a global
IPv6 address and a CGNAT'ed IPv4 address.  In the last 3 hours, I've moved
90G on IPv4, and 322G on IPv6.)