nanog mailing list archives

Re: Time to add 2002::/16 to bogon filters?

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 19:00:13 -0400

On Jun 18, 2018, at 5:08 PM, Job Snijders <job () ntt net> wrote:

Dear all,

TL;DR: Perhaps it is time to add 2002::/16 to our EBGP bogon filters?

It is kind of strange that in the default-free zone (where we don’t
announce defaults to each other) - we will propagate what is effectively an
IPv4 default-route, in the IPv6 DFZ.

IETF has politely abandoned the prefix:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7526

I don’t believe there is a reason that folks should accept this prefix from a transit/peer.  If they have need for 6to4
within their network, they should operate their own local 6to4 relays.

It seems native IPv6 is fairly widely available:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

And there is almost zero 6to4 activity in those stats as well.  Since it’s a known path for abuse as well, I would
expect networks to not carry these IPv6 routes and filter them.

- Jared