nanog mailing list archives

Re: Reaching out to ARIN members about their RPKI INVALID prefixes

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 18:03:40 -0700

Looks like a certain CDN has volunteered to do that for you.

Owen

On Sep 19, 2018, at 01:19 , Job Snijders <job () instituut net> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 01:07:42AM -0700, Christopher Morrow wrote:
it is about whether it is acceptable that RIRs (and more
specifically ARIN in this mailing list's context) notify affected
parties of their prefixes that suffer from stale ROAs.

This I still think is a bad plan.. mostly because I don't think it'll
help :( I think what helps is: "Oh, I cant get to <foo> and <bar> and
<most of the internet>" .... I think folk that CARE will do the right
thing, folk that 'think they care' won't and will soon get
disconnected from the tubez.

I apologize a tad if my view that: "breaking people will force them to
fix themselves" is .... rough :(

What about an one-off outreach effort?

We need to somehow kickstart the feedback loop, especially if we expect
effects to become forceful. I'm hoping that if the invalid count is low
enough it'll become more attractive for more people flip the switch and
deploy OV.

Kind regards,

Job