nanog mailing list archives

Re: 5G roadblock: labor

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 16:39:42 -0500

On 12/30/19 3:24 PM, Matthew Petach wrote:

If we solve the issue of endpoint identity on a connection
independent of the transport, so that your video stream
of the game doesn't have to stop and restart every time
you shift from one access point to the next, I could
definitely see wi-Fi beating 5G.

Otherwise, I think 5G will win, in terms of better
user experience when non-stationary.

In theory, this is what "Hotspot 2.0" is designed to solve. You authenticate to the ESSID using your mobile carrier credentials, and the resulting connection backhauls over an Internet tunnel to your carrier who can handle the hand-off/roaming transparently for you.

It also includes some provisions for settlement so that Wi-Fi operator can get a kickback from the mobile carrier for offloading their traffic. I'm sure that will be lucrative for mom and pop coffee shops...

Of course, this is also what Mobile IP was intended to solve, and we all know how widely that's deployed.
--
Brandon Martin