nanog mailing list archives

RE: BGP Experiment

From: <adamv0025 () netconsultings com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 12:36:45 -0000

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:56 PM

I suspect simple bugs are found by vendor, complex bugs are not
economic to find.

the running internet is complex and has a horrifying number of special
cases
compounded by kiddies being clever.  no one, independent of resource
requirements, could build a lab to the scale needed to test.

Yes what can break will break, yet here we are exchanging emails, I think
your statement assumes a vast search space.
No need to solve the whole thing, just to make my tiny part a bit better.
No need to solve my tiny part for eternity, just for the near term.
Yes there will always be this long tail, but with what one would deem a
sufficiently low probability, in the intersection of the above search
spaces.

and then there is ewd's famous quote about testing.

Yes human brains have their limits, hence we invented AI to help us solve
complexity.
Though in a sense it's just shifting the complexity to yet another layer
above...

adam