nanog mailing list archives

Re: Announcing: "dumpsterfire", the mailing list for IoT security/privacy issues

From: Rob McEwen <rob () invaluement com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 01:37:53 -0500

On 1/11/2019 2:50 PM, Grant Taylor via NANOG wrote:
On 01/11/2019 12:32 PM, Rob McEwen wrote:
but if done right, fwiw,, wouldn't that be sent over SMTP using TLS encryption?

Oy vey.  in-flight vs at-rest encryption.  <facepalm>

which is why i said "fwiw", acknowledging upfront that TLS transmission encryption has a limited scope. I guess you missed that?  But I was specifically replying to a complaint about passwords being sent in plain text, and I was suggesting that TLS would solve that problem. At that point in the discussion, it wasn't a discussion about all things encryption. ("context" is very helpful - are you still facepalming?)