nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network Speed Testing and Monitoring Platform

From: Blake Hudson <blake () ispn net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 13:02:04 -0600

Zach Puls wrote on 1/16/2019 1:53 PM:

Maybe try setting up an Ookla on-site speedtest server? I believe the product is called Speedtest Custom. Setup is pretty simple, and is relatively inexpensive.

That gives you the ease-of-use of speedtest.net, with the accuracy similar to having a local iperf server.

*Zach Puls*

/Network Engineer /

/MEF-CECP/

Title: KsFiberNet - Description: Macintosh HD:Users:chunt:Documents:Logos_Brand Guide_KFN:WEB_logos:KFN_logo-WEB.png <http://www.ksfiber.net/>**

Direct: +1 (316) 221-2094

Email: zpuls () ksfiber net <mailto:zpuls () ksfiber net>

*Technical Support:  855-KFN-HELP (536-4357) *

/This e-mail, including any attachments, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of this information, directly or indirectly, by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may subject you to legal liability. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers in which it resides. This email, including any attachments, is not intended to constitute the formation of a contract binding KsFiberNet. KsFiberNet will be contractually bound only upon execution, by an authorized representative, of a definitive agreement containing agreed upon terms and conditions./

Last time I checked, the Ookla Speedtest Custom software license required for a local server installation (e.g. not using the public speedtest servers) started at ~$2k/year. That does not include the speedtest server hardware which may run you another $2k or more if you want to meet the minimum recommended specs for a gigabit speedtest. Perhaps an initial investment of $4k and a reoccurring $2k/year is inexpensive for some, but I can imagine some folks will struggle to find the value at that price point.

--Blake