nanog mailing list archives

Re: 44/8

From: "Majdi S. Abbas" <msa () latt net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 23:13:24 -0400

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 11:02:40PM -0400, Christopher Morrow wrote:
So.. this is/was a legacy allocation, right?  with some 'not great'
contact/etc info...

        It's been announced by UCSD as a /8, consistently available,
with tunnel services and rDNS available on a consistent basis, for a
long time.

        The folks involved are not hard to find and never have been.

        Amusingly, they still seem to be advertising the covering
aggregate, so I guess the Cal system is going to provide transit to
Amazon?  Do the Regents know about this arrangement?

the ARIN folk could have said: "Well.... sure! if the current folk who
control access can positively show they do AND they don't mind parting
with a /10... ok?"

        ... I'm not sure this would make the 44/8 allocation anything
but a bogon, or ARIN WHOIS & RPKI a reliable resource for the community.
Potentially quite the contrary.

        If I start advertising space, and can show I thusly "control"
it, can I monetize it, too?  I could use "some millions."

        --msa