nanog mailing list archives

Re: 44/8

From: Matt Harris <matt () netfire net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 10:34:47 -0500

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 10:29 AM John Curran <jcurran () arin net> wrote:

Matt -

Chris is correct.   Those who received IPv4 address blocks by InterNIC (or
its predecessors) prior to the inception of ARIN on 22 December 1997 are
legacy resource holders, and continue to receive those same registry
services for those blocks (Whois, reverse DNS, ability to update) without
any need for an agreement with ARIN.  This has been provided without any
fee to the original registrants (or their legal successors) as recognition
of their contributions to the early Internet.

Hey John, I understand that, however my understanding is that the
establishment of an ARIN RSA is required prior to the transfer of a block
or a portion or a block via ARIN (such as the transfer of 44.192/10). Thus,
this would mean that the 44/8 block is now governed by an (well, more than
one, now that it's split) ARIN RSA (or LRSA) whereas it was not before.  Is
that not correct?

Thanks!