nanog mailing list archives

Re: 240/4 (Re: 44/8)

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 20:48:23 -0700

On Jul 22, 2019, at 20:14 , Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se> wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019, Owen DeLong wrote:

     2.      It was decided that the effort to modify each and every IP stack in order to facilitate use of this
relatively small block (16 /8s being evaluated against a global
             run rate at the time of roughly 2.5 /8s per month, mostly to RIPE and APNIC) vs. putting that same
effort into modifying each and every IP stack to support
             IPv6 was an equation of very small benefit for slightly smaller cost. (Less than 8 additional months of
IPv4 free pool vs. hopefully making IPv6 deployable
             before IPv4 ran out).

Well, people are working on making 240/4 usable in IP stacks:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dtaht/unicast-extensions/master/rfcs/draft-gilmore-taht-v4uniext.txt

There have been patches accepted into some BSDs and into Linux tools/kernel and other operating systems to make 240/4
configurable and working as unicast space.

I don't expect it to show up in DFZ anytime soon, but some people have dilligently been working on removing any
obstacles to using 240/4 in most common operating systems.

For controlled environments, it's probably deployable today with some caveats. I think it'd be fine as a compliment
to RFC1918 space for some internal networks.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se

I guess people can do whatever they want. I personally consider it to be a sad sad waste of time that could be better
spent deploying IPv6 to more places.

Owen