nanog mailing list archives

Re: CloudFlare issues?

From: Aftab Siddiqui <aftab.siddiqui () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 00:12:45 +1000

Hi Stephen,

I used to be a quality control engineer in my career, so I have a
question to ask from the perspective of a QC guy:  what is the Best
Practice for minimizing, if not totally preventing, this sort of
problem?  Is there a "cookbook" answer to this?

As suggested by Job in the thread above,

    - deploy RPKI based BGP Origin validation (with invalid == reject)
    - apply maximum prefix limits on all EBGP sessions
    - ask your router vendor to comply with RFC 8212 ('default deny')
    - turn off your 'BGP optimizers' --> You actually don't need that at
all. I survived without any optimizer.

Aslo, read RFC7454 and join MANRS :)

Regards,
Aftab Siddiqui